The browser you are using is not supported by this website. All versions of Internet Explorer are no longer supported, either by us or Microsoft (read more here:

Please use a modern browser to fully experience our website, such as the newest versions of Edge, Chrome, Firefox or Safari etc.


Applying for research funding

Budget calculations are prepared together with our finance officer using the current Excel template. The budget calculation shows the direct and indirect costs of the project. Depending on the funder, the project may need to be co-funded with direct government funding from the department.

The budget calculation shows the amount required to ensure full cost coverage of the project, and how this amount is shared among the funders in question, including the department. A full cost calculation is to be available to the department for every application for external funding. The drafting of a budget calculation will also generate a full cost calculation, which is to be signed by the project manager and the head of department. The supporting documents for the calculation are then to be submitted to the head of department and the finance officer, and filed at the department.

Support available to researchers can be found via the Staff Pages:

Research support – LU Staff pages

All employees have access to "Kuben" by logging in using their Lucat identity. Kuben is a tool for follow-up, analysis and management. It includes data from finance, human resources and student documentation. In Kuben, employees can follow up on the finances of their projects.

Kuben – LU Staff pages

Research support

The Department:

  • supports initiatives and projects that promote research processes and career development (eg “fika” for meetings, lecturer invitations).
  • allocates funds to the research divisions. The Head of the division, together with members of the division, decide upon the best way to use the funds.
  • finances travel costs and conference fees in Sweden for employees without additional research funding ("Hässleholmsfonden").

You are welcome to contact the Head of Department or Deputy Head of Department with your ideas and funding applications.

Ethical review

Your research may need to be ethically reviewed.

Ethical review – Lund University

Documentation of the ethical review must be registered in the University document registration system. The ethical review is to be paid for via Lupin (payment without an invoice) either by you with your own funding, or with the help of a Lupin officer based on a decision about awarded funding.


Prisma is the joint application and case management system for Forte, Formas, and the Swedish Research Council (VR). In Prisma, researchers can apply for funding as well as manage awarded grants. The head of department approves the applications with an electronic signature in Prisma.

As a researcher, you must create a personal account to be able to apply for research funding and sign your applications. All co-applicants must also have their own Prisma accounts.

Prisma (New window)

Registrations in LUCRIS

All scientific publication is to be registered in LUCRIS (Lund University Current Research Information System). It is of specific importance to register articles, books and book chapters since it has a direct effect on the Department´s financial allocation. LUCRIS also includes information about other research related activities such as projects and collaborations. LUCRIS is a system that gathers and displays information related to your research profile.

As a researcher it is your obligation to add and update a minimum level of information in LUCRIS

The minimum requirement for registration in LUCRIS at the Faculty of Social Sciences (PDF)

Research and education – LU Staff pages

You can find more information about and manuals related to LUCRIS here.

LUCRIS – LU Staff pages

Instructions: Adding collaborative projects in LUCRIS (PDF)

Research interns

The department has guidelines in order to create good conditions for mutually beneficial research collaborations between researchers and incoming research interns.

Guidelines for incoming research interns


All research projects in which personal data is handled must be reported to PULU (Personal data, Lund University). This also applies if you have previously submitted your research project. Student work where personal data is handled must also be reported.

Registration of personal data processing in research projects

Research and education – LU Staff pages