Applying for research funding
Budget calculations are prepared together with our finance officer using the current Excel template. The budget calculation shows the direct and indirect costs of the project. Depending on the funder, the project may need to be co-funded with direct government funding from the department.
The budget calculation shows the amount required to ensure full cost coverage of the project, and how this amount is shared among the funders in question, including the department. A full cost calculation is to be available to the department for every application for external funding. The drafting of a budget calculation will also generate a full cost calculation, which is to be signed by the project manager and the head of department. The supporting documents for the calculation are then to be submitted to the head of department and the finance officer, and filed at the department.
Support available to researchers can be found via the Staff Pages:
All employees have access to "Kuben" by logging in using their Lucat identity. Kuben is a tool for follow-up, analysis and management. It includes data from finance, human resources and student documentation. In Kuben, employees can follow up on the finances of their projects.
- supports initiatives and projects that promote research processes and career development (eg “fika” for meetings, lecturer invitations).
- allocates funds to the research divisions. The Head of the division, together with members of the division, decide upon the best way to use the funds.
- finances travel costs and conference fees in Sweden for employees without additional research funding ("Hässleholmsfonden").
You are welcome to contact the Head of Department or Deputy Head of Department with your ideas and funding applications.
Your research may need to be ethically reviewed.
Documentation of the ethical review must be registered in the University document registration system. The ethical review is to be paid for via Lupin (payment without an invoice) either by you with your own funding, or with the help of a Lupin officer based on a decision about awarded funding.
Prisma is the joint application and case management system for Forte, Formas, and the Swedish Research Council (VR). VR and Forte started using Prisma in January 2015 for all of their calls for applications, and Formas joined them in 2016. In Prisma, researchers can apply for funding as well as manage awarded grants. The head of department approves the applications with an electronic signature in Prisma.
As a researcher, you must create a personal account to be able to apply for research funding and sign your applications. All co-applicants must also have their own Prisma accounts.
How to create a personal account in Prisma:
- Create an ORCID account: ORCID (Open Researcher and Contributor ID) is an international registry for researchers. A Prisma account requires an ORCID account. If you do not have an ORCID account, please create one via their website, http:// orcid.org/. Note your ORCID number that appears under your name in the top left corner on the ORCID website, in the form of XXXX-XXXXXXXX-XXXX, 16 digits in total.
- Create a personal account in Prisma: Go to Prisma, select "Create personal account", then "Create personal account with SWAMID". You can then create an account which is connected to your Lucat ID at the University. Follow the instructions on the screen.
- Activate your Prisma account: Once you have created an account, you will receive an email with a username and password to activate your account. Follow the instructions in the email.
Registrations in LUCRIS
All scientific publication is to be registered in LUCRIS (Lund University Current Research Information System). It is of specific importance to register articles, books and book chapters since it has a direct effect on the Department´s financial allocation. LUCRIS also includes information about other research related activities such as projects and collaborations. LUCRIS is a system that gathers and displays information related to your research profile.
As a researcher it is your obligation to add and update a minimum level of information in LUCRIS
You can find more information about and manuals related to LUCRIS here.
The department has guidelines in order to create good conditions for mutually beneficial research collaborations between researchers and incoming research interns.